Thursday, September 29, 2011

2 Weeks are OVERRR!

WHOO HOOO!  The worst is officially behind me in terms of pain/swelling and such so I am totally looking forward to making as much progress as I did these past two weeks into the next two weeks.  I went to my surgeon's office yesterday and he again took x-rays which I am totally cool with because I get to see how amazing my new bite is!  I've included the photo above (ignore my caps and nose ring, lol) but feel free to stare at the beautiful alignment going on up there! :D  ALL of my teeth touch where they're supposed to and this is the first week I'm actually aware of them so it's kinda cool to know they're actually on top of one another. I can't wait to actually use them, (hint, hint Dr. Schoeman).

But alas, all good news must be followed by crappy news at the doc's office unfortunately.   Although I'm healing on schedule, I was told that as long as I could handle it, I should really maintain the liquid diet for another 6 weeks.  He said back in the day he would wire patients shut for 6 weeks but lately they've had some empathy (yes, I know, I too was surprised at this word escaping a doc's lips) and they've allowed patients to try to open their mouths at 2/3 weeks to get some soft food in but you really do risk nerve damage/weird bite alignment if you try too hard. So back to soups :(

My next appointment with him is next Wednesday when he'll cut my elastics and try to open my jaw with me to see what my capabilities are at this point since I mentioned to him I was terrified of trying myself... haha.  Other than that, I was told to keep my 4 elastics on at all times and to cancel my dentist appointment that was supposed to be in 2 weeks as they really won't be able to do anything for me.
Right before my appt... you can ALMOST see the old Lara in this one :D

Today I went to see my orthodontist, the amazing Dr. Mayer, just so he could check out my bite and elastics configuration.  It was a super quick appointment; he just let me know that my bite looks awesome, my hair was too wild for his taste and that he expects it to be red next time I see him, and to come see him again in 2 weeks (very efficient this guy ;) to see if I could open my mouth up any.  Oh, also told me that I'm probably going to have to do some physical therapy to help with relaxing my jaw muscles and such.  I'm SO looking forward to those awkward appointments [insert eye roll here].

         BEFORE PROFILE SHOT:                                                         AFTER PROFILE SHOT:

So far what I love the most is NO MORE FAT CHEEKS, my nose looks smaller and I actually have a chin!  Can't wait for the swelling to take a hike so I can see my new face for real.
Before I say good night, I just wanted to add that French Onion soup (complete with all that gooey cheese) in the blender set to 'Liquify' is the MOST. AMAZING. THING. I'VE. EATEN. THUS. FAR.  Do yourself a favor and get some of this stuff from a good restaurant if you're in recovery.  Thanks for all the kind  words/emails/comments this week! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment