Thursday, September 22, 2011

I survived the first week :D

Starting to look like my old self!

Numbers I haven't seen in a long time, lol.  Losing 1 lb/day
AHHHH, just created this whole Day 7 post only to have my iPad refresh and LOSE IT ALL. So I'll probably keep this brief since I just typed it out... Hola family and friends, Day 7 is almost at an end and I'm so glad the worst part is (hopefully) behind me. I kept waiting for days 4 and 5 to be the worst and done with but the past two days have offered challenges of their own as I'm faced with new and annoying pain each day. Lately I've had a lot of pain in my right ear, left cheek and jaw line in general. But thanks to all the loving people in my life that bring their dogs to play with my puppies (Hi Randy and Leina!), cook for my hubs (thanks, mom!) and to all of those who call and stop by with food and endless hours of their lives to waste with me watching Hoarders, Cops, Castle, etc. Yesterday was my first post-op appointment so I figured I'd share what went down there. I was super excited about the appointment going in as I knew I was going to have the dozens of bands in my mouth cut out but I guess I shouldn't have skipped breakfast first... I was led into the X-ray room to get shots of my new and amazingly perfect bite! That was quick and painless except the doc had me place my chin on something to keep it stable and it kinda took me a minute to find it since half my face is still super numb. After that I was led back to the office where my 50 bands were so gratefully CUT OFF! Whooo hoo! These, by the way, ended up EVERYwhere from up my gums and nose to down my shirt and I was still finding them hours later at home. I was then given a regular size toothbrush and told to brush my teeth gently. Um, yeah, there was no way that whole toothbrush was fitting in my little mouth but I somehow got like 7 of my teeth clean and the last thing I remember was saying, "I don't feel so goooooo" Next thing I know, the nurse is shoving an ammonia soaked towel in my face and putting wet towels on my forehead and neck and the doctor is yelling, "Stay calm, Lara! I'm going to get you my super expensive orange juice!!! It's like $3.99 a bottle but you can have it!!!" I guess the whole trip was too much for my low blood sugared self and I almost passed out. On a side note, that damn Odwalla orange IS super good and it made me feel 100% better. I was then given a bag of rubber bands and the surgeon put one on and left the room with instructions that he'd return in a few minutes and he expected at least 2 more on. Yeah, that SO did not happen. Haha... those were SUPER tough. Two utensils and 15 minutes later though, I was walking out with one more elastic on and the instructions to wear around 4 at all times and an appointment to come back next week. The good thing is that the swelling is all symmetrical and going down and the bruising isn't any worse. it's just so. much. more. yellow. Kinda gross but I'm looking slightly more normal every day. With the comment that I "don't look even a little bit like Jay Leno," the surgeon was pleased with the results and upgraded me to a slightly thicker diet. Although I haven't been able to eat anything thicker than soups as even with the bands off I can't get my jaw a tiny bit open. I've spent the past two days sleeping on and off in 20 min bursts and last night I actually SLEPT IN MY OWN BED! whoo hooo!! My right arm/hand has been very weak lately and the surgeon thinks it's from me sleeping weirdly on the recliner so I got the okay to sleep in bed with a couple pillows propped up behind my back. Needless to say, my puppy couldn't handle this drastic change from downstairs to upstairs and I woke up to her gagging over my face then proceeding to vomit all over our stairs (thanks for waking up and catching that, Steve!) I'm going to take another nap cause writing this twice has totally wiped me out, lol. Then hopefully do some homework as I'm already a week behind :( Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-... That's all, folks

1 comment:

  1. Um you will NOT be catching me posting a photo of the scales!

    ReplyDelete