Sunday, September 18, 2011

Days 3 & 4: They were right...

 Profile shot on day 3...

 
I am almost past the notorious days 3 and 4 post jaw surgery! Throughout this whole process, I kept hearing that these two days would be the worst both mentally, as many patients began to regret their decision around this time, and physically, as the anesthesia leaves your body these two days. Needless to say, they have been extremely challenging. I woke up with extreme nausea both days but was able to keep down liquid Emetrol to keep from vomiting. Also, I took a bath yesterday which felt AMAZING! I"m pretty sure I smell to high heaven lately as I've just been vegging on our recliner watching tv all day, lol. Breakdown of how I feel: there is still a LOT of pressure in my mouth as if someone is squishing my head and jaw through a panini press. I can't WAIT to just open my mouth! I am hyper aware of my teeth stacked up on top of each other and it's creating a lot of pressure in my ears. My right ear hurts more than my left but in terms of symmetry, everything else is the same. Pain, swelling and bruising is the same on both sides. The bruising and swelling traveled down to my neck and chest these past two days and I'm on strict instructions to stop using ice so I'm just waiting this part out. Thankfully, the swelling isn't getting any worse, it's just the nausea and pain that were heightened yesterday and today. I had a few visitors over the past couple of days which was nice but it really hurts to try to talk so I feel kinda lame hanging out with my friends, (sorry, guys!) I'm the loudest person I know so this has definitely been an adjustment. There have been some awesome glimmers of hope though! First, I am getting tingling sensations over my chin/lip which I assume are my nerves trying to connect back together, although I am still drooling when I eat/sleep and have no sensations under my nose. Also, I found an awesome combination of Chocolate Boost and banana that I can keep down and doesn't get stuck in my teeth! Ah, the simple things :) Although I did get some on the side of my lip which Steve so helpfully suggested I "just lick off" then quickly realized that my tongue is stuck between 100 rubber bands, haha. I've noticed that as soon as I go a few hours without food I feel extremely weak and tired so I'm learning the hard way not to deprive myself of food, even though I have to force it down. I was able to fold some laundry and put away some dishes today so I don't feel completely useless but even those two things wiped me out so back to watching Toy Story 3, hanging out with my puppies and being loved on by the hubs and Mom until I feel better. Thanks to everyone who stopped by with flowers, made me food, forced me to watch NFL ;) and sent me messages; you're totally keeping me going!

1 comment:

  1. I think you had the surgery at the perfect time, all of the network season premiers are starting. Gerys Anatomy 2 hour season permier is on friday! And now you can finally watch all those shows you never have time for. Stay well. <3

    ReplyDelete