Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 2: Home Sweet Home

 Bloody nose, swollen face, this was pretty...
Hola friends and family! Today has been immensely better than yesterday already. Thanks to everyone who came and visited me in the hospital and putting up with my sleeping in the middle of talking to them! I can't thank my Mom enough for absolutely everything thus far and my husband, Steve, for staying the night. Even though he probably got a horrible night's rest, it was so comforting seeing someone familiar every half hour when one nurse or the other woke me up to check my oxygen, give me more meds, hook up some new ice packs, check my blood pressure, etc... haha, they were killer! Surgery details follow just in case you get grossed out!!! I figured I'd share some more details about the surgery cause those were the best things to read about when I was getting ready for this adventure in my life. After prepping me in check in (weight, blood pressure, IV hooked up, gown on, etc) the surgical nurse came for me and I basically hopped into my own surgical bed and was wheeled off to the surgical ward. I was then parked on the side while I waited for another patient to have an emergency appendectomy who was sharing my anesthesiologist so I kinda just reached over and read the 'Infectious Diseases' pamphlet that I could reach on the wall. When the anesthesiologist finally showed up, he sprayed 5 pumps of nasal spray up each nostril to help constrict my nasal passages to get my breathing tube in easier. I was then rolled into the surgical suite FULLY AWAKE where I saw all the lights, surgeons, tools... I totally freaked out. The doc and I started talking and turns out his daughter and I knew each other in high school so that instantly put me at ease. The last thing I remember is the anesthesia really hurting going in but then the awesome male nurse saw me do the sign of the cross before I fell asleep so he just held my hand and prayed with me and next thing I remember was waking up in my room! SUCCESS ;) I was given a wet oxygen mask to help me breathe along with a jaw bra to keep ice on my face and a suction tool to make sure I didn't have to swallow all my saliva since my throat was so so sore from the breathing tube. After switching my pain/nausea meds 3x, I finally got a couple hours of sleep and was so so ready to go home in the morning. I've been using sippee cups instead of the syringe which is way more normal for eating and I even got to brush my teeth with my cool baby brush today! Time for more relaxing and enjoying the lovely flowers/books/etch a sketch from awesome people in my life.

5 comments:

  1. Hey girly im glad to see you are doing well and that the recovery is going smoothly. Hows that liquid vicadin treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize the doc has a girl from our HS. Crazy. Yorba Linda is such a small village. I love that the nurse prayed with you. :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yorba Linda! My surgeon is in Yorba Linda, Dr Young. I'm having my surgery at Placentia Linda Hospital. Where did you have your surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @oc mama 2 four- I had mine at Placentia Linda too!!! Mine was with Dr. Schoeman who is based outta Kaiser but Placentia Linda is a partner hospital so I got to have mine there. I guess Kaiser doesn't have any facilities for jaw surgery in the area. Nurses are awesome, everything went perfectly. You're gonna be great. When's ur surgery? Feel free to email me at maclean.Lara@gmail.com if u have any questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still cant get over how different you look while swollen. Like a totally different person. I have seen post op photo after post op photo and I'm surprised every time.

    Looks like you are making swift progress though! That is very encouraging since I am only taking off 2 weeks from work. Hopefully I can follow in your path of greatness! :o)

    Hang in there!

    Looking great!

    ReplyDelete